gtick-devel

Re: [Gtick-devel] volume it gtick does not work

From: Roland Stigge
Subject: Re: [Gtick-devel] volume it gtick does not work
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 12:35:14 +0100

Hi Jeremiah,

thanks for your report.

On Fri, 2004-01-16 at 04:30, Jeremiah Benham wrote:
> I am ussing debian unstable on x86.

Version 0.2.13?

> The volume know on gtick does not seem to work.

Does this suggest that it worked before? In this case, please teel me
which previous version worked. (They are still available for download.)

What is the output of "gtick -d"? It should explicitly say if the PCM
channel mixer is supported or not.

> Is it supposed to work is that a feature to be added later.

Merely, the opposite(!).

Traditionally, GTick includes support for volume control. Alex Roberts
intended it as a convenience feature. Unfortunately, this is bad design,
because providing any kind of mixer is a completely different task than
a metronome. Since some sound interfaces don't support mixing (including
PCM volume, like in GTick) at all, this feature can even break whole
(innocent) audio applications.

Therefore, I'm even considering to remove volume control completely in
favour of recommending the use of the already available fine mixers like
gnome-alsamixer, aumix, kmix, etc. Most OS distributions include some of
them.

That does not mean that I neglected the volume control in the last
versions. I even improved it and it seems to work on most setups. If the
device doesn't support a direct PCM volume control, the GTick volume
control just doesn't work.

What do you think about it? I'd also like to have feedback from others.

> I have a external midi keyboard but gtick is much louder than any of my
> softsynths.

GTick outputs normalized sound. I.e. nothing could be louder. :-)

bye,
  Roland