Re: VM: direct vs indirect threading

From: Karl M. Hegbloom
Subject: Re: VM: direct vs indirect threading
Date: 19 Sep 2000 09:25:59 -0700

    Keisuke> address@hidden (Karl M. Hegbloom) writes:
    >> Regarding `direct-threading' vs `indirect-threading' in the VM, see:
    >> `librep-list':
    >>
    >> <URL:http://www.geocrawler.com/lists/3/SourceForge/688/0/4353053/>
    >> <URL:http://www.geocrawler.com/lists/3/SourceForge/688/0/4360658/>

    Keisuke> Excuse me, but what is direct-threading?  Does it mean what I say
    Keisuke> bytecode to machine code translation?  But it doesn't seem his
patch
    Keisuke> is anything associated to it..  I think they are talking about
storing
    Keisuke> real memory address into bytecode, right?

 If you research the topic, spend more than about four hours on it,
 and can understand what they're talking about, you'll know more about
 it than I do at this point.  Try searching `citeseer' and `google'
 for "direct threading" and "JIT", and also the links in:

   <URL:http://www.geocrawler.com/archives/3/688/2000/4/0/3618205/>

    Keisuke> By the way, does rep not use computed-goto?  And it sounds like
they
    Keisuke> compute code address at run time.  I think it's slow..

 Please RTFC.  If you can read `libguile' code, you can read `librep'
 with no trouble.

 I have only recently encountered the idea of "threaded interpreters",
 via the `librep-list' and the links from the above article.  It will
 be a while and some study before I feel competent.