Re: Guile C preprocessor

From: Neil Jerram
Subject: Re: Guile C preprocessor
Date: 10 Dec 2000 17:40:56 +0000

    Keisuke> Hello, Is it a good idea to write a C preprocessor for
    Keisuke> Guile that can be used in place of guile-snarf like this?

Hmmm...  It looks interesting.  The main advantages seem to be (i)
automatic generation of argument validation code (ii) possible future
argument type reflection (iii) possible future replacement of argument
validation by something like Mikael's Ior.

A few details to consider, though.

- How does it work with emacs tags?  (Although, perhaps SCM_DEFINE
  already doesn't.)

- Is it extensible, so I can use it to write, say, guile-xlib.  For
  this I'd need to be able to declare new argument types for
  validation.

- What happens to the docstring?

- What language is the preprocessor written in?  It would be nice if
  it was Guile, but I guess we can't rely on Guile being available
  when building Guile.