Re: scm_gc_mark

From: Michael Livshin
Subject: Re: scm_gc_mark
Date: 31 Jan 2001 18:16:32 +0200

Keisuke Nishida <address@hidden> writes:

> scm_gc_mark() returns immediately if the object is SCM_IMP.
> Isn't it better to define it like this?
>
> #define scm_gc_mark(x) \
>   do { if (SCM_NIMP (x)) scm_i_gc_mark (x); } while (0)

could be faster, yes.  as with all things involving frequently and
recursively called functions, a real improvement is not certain (it
may sound paranoid, but I speak from (some) experience).

if you benchmark and see an improvement, feel free to make this
change.  be sure to benchmark with deeply nested data structures;
cons-trees with deep nesting _both_ in the car and the cdr are best
(and easiest to generate) for making scm_gc_mark() eat huge quantities
of stack space.

or don't, and I'll get around to it.  eventually.

thanks,
--mike

--
He who joyfully marches to music rank and file, has already earned my
contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him