Re: Thread support plan with initial patch

From: Dirk Herrmann
Subject: Re: Thread support plan with initial patch
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2001 11:09:48 +0200 (MEST)

On Mon, 2 Apr 2001, NIIBE Yutaka wrote:

> Here's my plan of introducing POSIX thread support:

Maybe it is of interest for you that in June 2000 I have added some code
to guile which virtualized guile's threading interface.  It can be found
in the CVS branch "dirk-thread-factorization-branch".

As far as I know the reason why the corresponding patches have not been
introduced into the main branch yet is, that there is some problem with
the quick-threads library, at least on linux.  According to a mail from
Mikael the libqt.so is broken, but that had not become apparent before:

Mikael writes:
> It's shared libraries which don't work.
>
> If you configure Guile using --disable-shared it works.
>
> I think that libqt.so actually never has worked.  The reason why we
> normally get away with it is that libguile.so is *statically* linked
> with libqt.a---at least this is my guess.

I am totally clueless with respect to dynamic linking issues, thus I have
never looked into the problem again.  However, it would be great if
someone could take a look at it.  The branch includes some test cases, and
it was one of those which failed.  Thus, for someone who would like to
take a look, it should be easy to get quickly to the problem.

Best regards,
Dirk Herrmann