Re: program-arguments

From: Dirk Herrmann
Subject: Re: program-arguments
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 19:47:47 +0200 (MEST)

On 20 Apr 2001, Rob Browning wrote:

> And wasn't there a recent discussion about maybe needing an interface
> to allow modification of program-arguments?  (I at least recall a
> discussion about processing the command-line from scheme.)

Yes, but there was no conclusion yet.  With the 'trick' to apply set-cdr!
or set-car! to the return value of program-arguments, you can modify
everything behind the first pair, but you can not change the first pair
itself.  The latter would require some set-program-arguments! function.
But, if we provide such a function, it seems more natural to make this
function the only 'official' way to change the program arguments.  Such a
solution is cleaner anyway, because set-program-arguments! could do some
argument checking and make sure that the program arguments are always a
list of strings.

Best regards,
Dirk Herrmann