Re: Patch for better multiple values support

From: Michael Livshin
Subject: Re: Patch for better multiple values support
Date: 10 May 2001 14:53:00 +0300

Martin Grabmueller <address@hidden> writes:

> Properly supporting this would require a check for _all_ evaluated
> subexpressions, and if they evaluate to multiple values and we are not
> inside a call-with-values, an error must be signalled.  This would slow
> down the evaluator dramatically.
>
> As a compromise, we could insert check in some strategical chosen
> places, such as in define or set!, which are not so critical
> performance-wise.
>
> What do others think?

I think being more permissive than R5RS is no big deal, as long as we
don't commit to supporting this behaviour in the future.

it's probably unwise to add more hair to the evaluator, anyway.

you might have noticed that Guile treats macros as first-class objects
too...

--
:FATAL ERROR -- ILLEGAL ERROR-