Re: RFC: major change to argument processing.

From: Lars J. Aas
Subject: Re: RFC: major change to argument processing.
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2001 14:36:16 +0200

On Fri, Jun 01, 2001 at 01:53:49PM +0200, Dirk Herrmann wrote:
: On Fri, 1 Jun 2001, Lars J. Aas wrote:
: > On Fri, Jun 01, 2001 at 11:56:52AM +0200, Dirk Herrmann wrote:
: > : On 1 Jun 2001, Marius Vollmer wrote:
: > : > Single quotes in sh do not do any `\' processing between them.
: > :
: > : Well, I am still not sure it is worth the additional effort to emulate
: > : shell behaviour... :-|
: >
: > It's a more widespread concept than just shells - e.g. perl does it the
: > same way.  People will burn themselves on this, expecting single quotes
: > to leave backslashes alone.
:
: Is it really worth the effort, to write a dedicated parser for the
: #! ... !# stuff if its application can be expected to be rarely used and
: if the complicatedness is then only for making people use backslashes and
: double quote characters more comfortably?  Compared to using (read), and
: checking the result to be a string, this seems simply to be overkill for
: me.

I agree.  I'm just saying people will be confused when they find their
assumptions to be untrue.  I bet people will even try to use $-variables
inside double-quoted strings, expecting environment variables to be
substituted into those positions.

  Lars J