[Top][All Lists]

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

guile on mac OSX

From: Seth Alves
Subject: guile on mac OSX
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2001 14:55:31 -0700

Hi, I've built guile out of CVS on mac OSX Version 10.0.4 (Build 4Q12).

$ libtool --version (GNU libtool) 1.4 (1.920 2001/04/24 23:26:18)
$ autoconf --version
autoconf (GNU Autoconf) 2.50
$ cc -v
Reading specs from /usr/libexec/gcc/darwin/ppc/2.95.2/specs
Apple Computer, Inc. version gcc-926, based on gcc version 2.95.2 19991024 
$ uname -a
Darwin localhost 1.3.7 Darwin Kernel Version 1.3.7: Sat Jun  9 11:12:48 PDT 
2001; root:xnu/xnu-124.13.obj~1/RELEASE_PPC  Power Macintosh powerpc

Here are some troubles I ran into.  Some of this is not trouble with
guile, but I included it anyway.

The build of ice-9 wants to run guile, so:

$ cvs diff   
RCS file: /cvsroot/guile/guile/guile-core/,v
retrieving revision 1.26
diff -r1.26
< SUBDIRS = ice-9 oop qt libltdl libguile guile-config guile-readline \
> SUBDIRS = oop qt libltdl libguile ice-9 guile-config guile-readline \

When ice-9 builds, it doesn't find guile, and if it finds guile,
guile doesn't find ice-9, so:

$ cvs diff
RCS file: /cvsroot/guile/guile/guile-core/ice-9/,v
retrieving revision 1.46
diff -r1.46
<       cd $(srcdir) && guile -c '(load-from-path "ice-9/syncase") 
(define-module (ice-9 syncase)) (psyncomp)'
>       cd $(srcdir) && GUILE_LOAD_PATH=.. ../libguile/guile -c 
> '(load-from-path "ice-9/syncase") (define-module (ice-9 syncase)) (psyncomp)'

"macosx" wasn't defined, so I changed a line in gc_os_dep.c.
This probably isn't right... maybe I don't need the __ppc__ part?

$ cvs diff gc_os_dep.c
Index: gc_os_dep.c
RCS file: /cvsroot/guile/guile/guile-core/libguile/gc_os_dep.c,v
retrieving revision 1.7
diff -r1.7 gc_os_dep.c
< # if defined(macosx)
> # if defined(__APPLE__) && defined (__ppc__)

The compiler doesn't like intptr_t or uintptr_t in
bitwise or arithmetic operations, so

$ cvs diff tags.h     
Index: tags.h
RCS file: /cvsroot/guile/guile/guile-core/libguile/tags.h,v
retrieving revision 1.83
diff -r1.83 tags.h
> #if defined(HAVE_UINTPTR_T) && ! defined (__APPLE__)

The default cpp does some stuff I didn't expect it to, and
it breaks many of the autoconf tests.  It also causes a lot
of spew during guile-snarf.  I tried a few things, and then
ended up doing:

CC="cc -traditional-cpp" CPP="cc -E -traditional-cpp" ./configure 

This got the build a lot further.

When it was time to make, this happened:

$ /bin/sh ../libtool --mode=link cc -traditional-cpp  -g -O2 -Wall 
-Wmissing-prototypes  -o -rpath /usr/local/lib -version-info 10:0:0 
-export-dynamic alist.lo [many .o's removed for clarity] ../libltdl/ 
rm -fr .libs/ .libs/libguile.* .libs/libguile.*
cc -traditional-cpp -dynamiclib -undefined suppress -o 
.libs/libguile.10.0.0.dylib  alist.lo [many .o's removed for clarity] -all_load 
 ../libltdl/.libs/  ../libltdl/.libs/ -lm -lc 
-install_name  /usr/local/lib/libguile.10.dylib -compatibility_version 11 
-current_version 11.0
ld: multiple definitions of symbol _lt_dladderror
../libltdl/.libs/ definition of _lt_dladderror in section 
../libltdl/.libs/ definition of _lt_dladderror in section (
... is linked in twice, and the linker hates it.  I didn't figure
out how to solve this one.  What I did was create a perl script called
"nodup-cc" which contains

   $command = "cc ";
   for ($i=0; $i<@ARGV; $i++)
       next if ($i > 0 && ($ARGV[ $i-1 ] eq $ARGV[ $i ]));
       $command .= $ARGV[ $i ] . " ";
   system ($command);

and then

CC="nodup-cc -traditional-cpp" CPP="nodup-cc -E -traditional-cpp" ./configure 

After that, guile built and it started doing the texi snarfing.   This
died because zsh (OSX's /bin/sh) is doing a weird thing with this line
      exec $program ${1+"$@"}
which is in libtool's wrapper script for guile.

You can see what is happenening by looking at this:

  $ ./guile --debug -c "(display \"hi\n\")"
  In unknown file:
     ?: 0* (begin (eval-string "(display") (quit))
     ?: 1* [eval-string "(display"]
  <unnamed port>: In procedure list in expression (eval-string "(display"):
  <unnamed port>: end of file
  $ ./guile --debug -c "(display\"hi\n\")"

The difference is a space in the first one.  The arguments are being
split by the space characters with no regard to the quotes.  I don't
know why zsh is doing it this way, maybe these links contain the
answer, but I don't get it.  My powers of shell scripting are weak.
     question 3.1

I found a couple of ways to avoid this.  One is to replace /bin/sh
with bash.  Another is to apply this patch to 

$ diff
>       # zsh on macosx mangles arguments when it sees ${1+"$@"} ?
>       *-apple-darwin*)
>         $echo >> $output "\
>       # Export the path to the program.
>       PATH=\"\$progdir:\$PATH\"
>       export PATH
>       exec \$program \"address@hidden"
> "
>           ;;

Here are some scary warnings i saw:

In file included from numbers.c:4220:
../libguile/num2integral.i.c: In function `scm_short2num':
../libguile/num2integral.i.c:90: warning: comparison is always true due to 
limited range of data type
In file included from numbers.c:4268:
../libguile/num2integral.i.c: In function `scm_num2ptrdiff':
../libguile/num2integral.i.c:24: warning: decimal constant is so large that it 
is unsigned
../libguile/num2integral.i.c:43: warning: decimal constant is so large that it 
is unsigned
../libguile/num2integral.i.c: In function `scm_i_ptrdiff2big':
../libguile/num2integral.i.c:123: warning: decimal constant is so large that it 
is unsigned

regex-posix.c: In function `scm_regexp_exec':
regex-posix.c:281: warning: cast to pointer from integer of different size
regex-posix.c:282: warning: cast to pointer from integer of different size


reply via email to

[Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread]