Re: guile-scsh autoloading

From: Marius Vollmer
Subject: Re: guile-scsh autoloading
Date: 22 Jul 2001 19:20:55 +0200

Thien-Thi Nguyen <address@hidden> writes:

> generally, a similar question can be asked of ice-9, srfi and scripts
> directories (in guile-core).  the autoload mechanism is sort of a large
> hammer but is friendly to newbies (to a particular codebase).  i picture
> an autoload file per directory, i.e., for any module (x y z), there will
> be an autoload file x/y/autoload.scm...

I think we should certainly support this technique, but I don't think
it should be the `usual' way to use Guile.  If I understand you right,
you are thinking about having a quick way to `use' all modules in a
certain directory so that one doesn't have to worry about from what
module a certain definition comes.  This feels like a `lazy hack' that
actually works against the module system, I'd say, and is not
something I would want to pitch to newbies.

When it feels better to simply lump together the individual modules of
a certain codebase instead of following the separations layed out by
the original authors, then there is probably something wrong with the
codebase itself.