Re: feature? or provided?

From: Michael Livshin
Subject: Re: feature? or provided?
Date: 06 Sep 2001 19:39:54 +0300

Dirk Herrmann <address@hidden> writes:

> On 6 Sep 2001, Marius Vollmer wrote:
>
> > Dirk Herrmann <address@hidden> writes:
> >
> > >   ;;; presumably deprecated.
> > >   (define feature? provided?)
> > >
> > > Deprecated or not?
> >
> > Pfhrr, beats me.  What are people using?  Off hand, I'd say that
> > `feature?' should remain.
>
> Well, I prefer `provided?╢, since `feature?╢ sounds more like a type
> predicate.

I prefer `feature?', but that's maybe because I'm used to Emacs.

in Emacs, the way I see it, the idea of `provide' is to register a
feature, not to put a symbol in some predefined list.  it's about the
intent.  some features are never provided by calling `provide', they
just exist.

--
Experienced C programmers are rearer than they think.
                                         -- Joe Marshall, comp.lang.lisp