Re: JACAL, scm

From: Chris Cramer
Subject: Re: JACAL, scm
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2001 01:03:44 -0500

On Fri, Sep 21, 2001 at 09:59:17PM -0400, Aubrey Jaffer wrote:
> http://nis-www.lanl.gov/~rosalia/mydocs/guile-user_1.html#IDX30 says:
>
>  ... Guile will interpret almost all standard scheme programs.  The only
>  differences between the basic Guile language and R4RS scheme are that:
>
>     Guile treats the empty list '() and the false symbol #f identically:
>     both are equal to the empy list.  In this Guile resembles classical
>     lisp dialects more than Scheme does (1).  Most boolean code will not
>     suffer from this.  Guile is case sensitive, whereas R4RS is case
>     insensitive.  We hope that few people have written scheme programs
>     that depend on case.
>
> My interest in Guile is to run JACAL (via current SLIB).  I have made
> accommodations for symbol case and '() in both SLIB and JACAL.  If Guile
> is committed to R4RS deviations other than those, then I will abandon my
> effort to support Guile.

The '()/#f equivalence was dropped a long time ago. Way back in 1997,
according to the NEWS file. I know a lot of people are still using
prehistoric versions like 1.4 or 1.3.4, but I think you may be taking
it a little too far.

Case sensitivity of symbols, BTW, is configurable, although the default
is still case sensitive.

--
C. Ray C. aka Christopher Cramer
address@hidden