Re: removing scm_gc_mark_conservatively()

From: Marius Vollmer
Subject: Re: removing scm_gc_mark_conservatively()
Date: 28 Sep 2001 00:46:25 +0200

Dirk Herrmann <address@hidden> writes:

> On 27 Sep 2001, Marius Vollmer wrote:
>
> > > Just for clarification:  The scm_tc16_allocated cells would then be
> > > conservatively scanned during gc, right?
> >
> > Yes, like they are now.
>
> Well, no.  I have removed the code for conservative cell marking after it
> was clear that it did not work.

Oops.  It did not work for scm_tc_free_cell (since you might end up
marking the whole free list), but I think it should work for
scm_tc16_allocated (since you would stop at the first
scm_tc_free_cell).

What are we going to do about this?  I would feel more comfortable
when SCM_NEWCELL would set the type slot of the cell to
scm_tc16_allocated and just swallow the performance hit for the time
being.  At the same time, deprecate it and switch all of libguile to
an initializing version of SCM_NEWCELL.