Re: Better support for transition to guile-1.6

From: Rob Browning
Subject: Re: Better support for transition to guile-1.6
Date: Sun, 07 Oct 2001 11:04:14 -0500

Marius Vollmer <address@hidden> writes:

> The critical situation is probably that someone does wants his
> program to work for 1.4 and 1.6 at the same time because he doesn't
> need features from 1.6 but he also does not want to force people
> with 1.4 on their systems to upgrade to 1.6.  I can imagine that say
> Debian is shipping 1.6 and RedHat ships 1.4.

And one thing that would help tremendously on a related front is if we
could get all the distributions to start packaging our libraries more
the way that Debian does it.  i.e. with a package for guile itself,
i.e. guile1.4, a package for the libraries, i.e. libguile9, and a
package for the development files, i.e. libguile-dev.  Given a setup
like this, programs compiled against an older version of guile can
coexist on the system with programs compiled against a newer version
of guile, because, although you can only have one guileX.Y or
libguile-dev package installed, you can have more than one libguileX
package, for example, libguile6 and libguile9.

Right now, at least RedHat[1] doesn't do this, they only have a
"guile" package, and this caused us to have to support versions of
guile all the way back to 1.3.4 in gnucash because important versions
of RedHat shipped with that version, and there was no way for anyone
to provide a guile 1.4 upgrade package without breaking all the other
apps compiled against guile.

Another advantage to this approach is that you can develop for the
newer guile while still keeping/running the apps that came with your
distribution that are compiled against the older version.

[1] I've tried to contact them about it, but so far haven't had much
    success, though I've got another avenue to try now.

--
Rob Browning
Previously @cs.utexas.edu