Re: UNSIGNED_ITYPE_MAX signed?

From: Dirk Herrmann
Subject: Re: UNSIGNED_ITYPE_MAX signed?
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2001 22:44:31 +0100 (MET)

On 29 Nov 2001, Marius Vollmer wrote:

> Dirk Herrmann <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > is it a bug or a feature that UNSIGNED_ITYPE_MAX is a signed value?
>
> Is it?
>
> > I would expect it to be an unsigned value.  However, I have applied the
> > patch below to num2integral.i.c, and it just does not work (giving errors
> > in srfi-4) or gives 'comparing signed and unsigned' warnings if I leave
> > out the cast operations in the line after the FIXME comment.
>
> I don't get any errors or warnings with your patch.  Maybe it's the
> version of GCC that you are using.  I have
>
>     gcc version 2.95.4 20011006 (Debian prerelease)
>
> What are you trying to do?

Well, my patch as it is does not lead to warning messages.  Only if you
omit the cast operations in the line after the FIXME comment you would get
warnings when compiling with -Wall -W.

Without my patch, I still was getting warning messages when compiling with
-Wall and -W, although I don't remember what kind of warning it was.  My
version of gcc is "2.95.3".

Best regards
Dirk Herrmann