Re: readline and libguile

From: rm
Subject: Re: readline and libguile
Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2002 15:55:19 +0100

On Fri, Feb 08, 2002 at 11:05:25AM +0000, Neil Jerram wrote:
>     rm> Hmm, i just checked my old .guile file. It seems that guile 1.7.0
> doesn't
>     rm> need this (which is not what the FAQ says).
>
> OK.  Does Guile now go into (guile-user) before loading .guile?

Just a testcase:

| ;; file: $HOME/.guile
| (display (current-module))
| (newline)
| (use-modules (ice-9 readline))
| (activate-readline)
|
| bash-2.05$ guile
| #<directory (guile-user) 8083280>

so, yes, i think that is the case. My guile reports to be
version 1.7.0, if that matters.

>     rm> A related question: what is needed to get the readline support built.
>     rm> I recall a '--with-gnu-readline' option of 'configure' but didn't find
>     rm> it in recent CVS version of 'configure'. Is this now autodeteced (and
> if
>     rm> so, how does one _disable_ readline support even if the library is
>     rm> present)?
>
> I think it is autodetected, and I don't know how one would disable it,
> I'm afraid.  I guess one could work it out from ./configure, though.

Ok, i thought so. But doesn't this kind of work against
the whole idea of _not_ activating readline support by default?
I know, legaly it's the (dynamic?) linking that probably matters,
but with the current setup it seems to be pretty hard to produce
a readline-free guile executable (no problem with me, but after
all the effort with guiles readline support ...).

 Ralf