Re: Stable branch will freeze.

From: Thien-Thi Nguyen
Subject: Re: Stable branch will freeze.
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2002 16:39:39 -0800

   From: Marius Vollmer <address@hidden>
   Date: 16 Mar 2002 01:08:15 +0100

   For me, it was a technical decision that should clarify the status of
   the 1.6 branch and help it to fulfill its intended purpose.

it is the inputs to the decision that clarify the decision.

   Maybe we should have discussed it first, but I knew from the way the
   1.6 branch has developed that we would need to be really strict about
   the freeze if it should have a chance of succeeding.  So I just went
   ahead and demonstrated my willingness to be strict by just announcing
   that the branch is now frozen, period.

strictness/rigor/etc is fine if you understand that being strict means
holding yourself to some principle.  if the principle is not expressed
no one even knows you're being strict, and those who may benefit from
the presumably well-chosen principle, benefit by chance only.

   What did you deduce from my response?

that you have less gray hairs than me, and i should go hack emacs for
rms (indentation/filling for variable width fonts -- something i would
never deign to impugn my personal emacs w/, btw), now.

happy hacking,
thi