Re: specifying workbook dir for dist-hook

From: Marius Vollmer
Subject: Re: specifying workbook dir for dist-hook
Date: 08 Apr 2002 02:06:14 +0200

Thien-Thi Nguyen <address@hidden> writes:

> * automake scanning happens at autogen.sh time.  automake instantiates a
>   Makefile.in from templates, handling "include" directives by diverting
>   (recursively) scanning to the included file and omitting the directive
>   in the output, and handling "if MAINTAINER_MODE" sections by prefixing
>   "@MAINTAINER_MODE_TRUE@" to makefile var definitions (and using other
>   generally portable constructs).

However, automake-1.4-p4 incorrectly does _not_ handle include
directives with filenames that contain a '-'.  It copies these lines
unchanged to the Makefile.in.

Automake 1.5 handles them correctly.

> here, the root cause of the bug seems to lie in how automake handles
> nested "if MAINTAINER_MODE" sections.

Automake 1.5 handles inclusions inside ifs correctly.

> you'll also note from point 1 above that none of this has anything to do
> w/ GNU make (thankfully :-).

It has, unfortunately, because GNU make also handles include
directives and thus covers up for the bug in automake 1.4.  It will
execute the include directive that automake missed.

Sooo, I'd say we should just require automake 1.5.

I'm in the process of committing some fixes that will make us survive
a "distcheck" with automake 1.5.  That version seems to put more
restrictive (but reasonable) permissions on the created distdirs and
not all our dist-hooks play nice.  It also fails to handle 'deep'
directories in EXTRA_DIST properly, something which 1.4 had no problem
with.  Ach, the joys of software...