Re: Roadmap and goals?

From: Rob Browning
Subject: Re: Roadmap and goals?
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2002 15:01:33 -0500

Kirill Lisovsky <address@hidden> writes:

> Guile - it is the slowest one, I'm afraid :-)
> Well, it's better _interpreter_ than Bigloo ...
> IMHO, it's main advantage is large installation/users base.
> But a mess with versions: 1.7.x , 1.6.x, 1.5.x  while latest Linux distros
> are using 1.4.x or even 1.3.4!
> (1.3.4 is used by RedHat 7.2 which makes a lot of installed Guiles pretty
> obsolete...)
> Using Guile since 1999 I'm still ignoring its latest additions
> due to this zoo of versions...

After 1.3.4 it *should* be pretty clear -- the numbering scheme is the
same as that of the linux kernel now, given MAJOR.MINOR.MICRO,
releases with odd MINOR numbers are unstable, i.e. 1.5.* is an
unstable beta release, and even numbers are stable.  1.6.1 will be the
next stable release.  Perhaps this isn't yet well enough known since
it was only decided after 1.4 and so is only documented in CVS ATM.

The problem with RedHat is a separate problem I think I understand
pretty well, and that I'm planning to try and help fix soon.

One issue in the FWIW category with respect to performance -- I've got
a partially working set of benchmarks here that I can run via a
"make".  I'm planning to commit these tests to a CVS module (after I
make sure the copyrights allow that) so we can use it for checking our
work.  Most of the benchmarks I have working right now are taken from
stalin, and so I've had to tone their workload down by orders of
magnitude so they'll actually run in a reasonable time with guile --
stalin is of course ridiculously faster in these tests.

> P.S. Forward of Nicolas's message to address@hidden
> is the reason of this posting. Please, don't consider it as
> destructive :-)

Not at all, thanks for your comments.

--
Rob Browning