Re: lazy sweeping.

From: Han-Wen
Subject: Re: lazy sweeping.
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2002 12:09:27 +0200

address@hidden writes:
> >  * Lazy sweeping sounds like a feature, but it actually leads to
> >    simpler, more natural code than the old sweeping code.
>
> did you consider various finalizations?  like closing file descriptors
> of dead ports, sort of fing.
>
> if you just lazy-sweep naively, some external resources may never get
> freed.

oh, btw, I noticed that only ports are flushed on exit of GUILE (gc.c
- onexit ()). The manual talks about "freeing resources" for the smob
free function. I believe that is inaccurate: free is only for freeing
memory. Stuff like closing files should happen in an explicitly called
function, for the free() might never get called at then end.

--

Han-Wen Nienhuys   |   address@hidden   |   http://www.cs.uu.nl/~hanwen