Re: Release Guile, now ;-) [was:] Re: GC rewrite, first version.

From: Bruce Korb
Subject: Re: Release Guile, now ;-) [was:] Re: GC rewrite, first version.
Date: Sun, 04 Aug 2002 13:43:49 -0700

Sergey Poznyakoff wrote:

> > Just add the following macro at the
> > end of the configure.ac file:
> >
> > http://ac-archive.sf.net/Miscellaneous/ac_create_prefix_config_h.html
>
> Sure, I know about this macro. Still, I don't believe it solves the
> problem, rather, it presents a work-around. The idea behind auto.*
> tools was to generate a configuration file *for a given package*, i.e.
> a private header. However, here the private header is made global

Which is exactly the problem.  Guile should *not* be exporting
its config.h header.  Further, since Guile should not be doing
it, anyone depending upon the Guile-configured values has mis-
coded their program.  On that theory, the config header Guile
exports should be free to prefix all its values.  Guile should
do this.

> and as such makes linking Guile to other packages unreasonably
> difficult. Imagine a developer who wishes to use Guile as an extension
> language for his package, he then would need to change almost all his
> configuration suite.

To the contrary.  Guile needs to do this.