Re: libltdl question

From: Rob Browning
Subject: Re: libltdl question
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 11:11:53 -0500

Bo Forslund <address@hidden> writes:

> I am trying to put together a guile 1.6.0 rpm package.So far
> everything is bundled in one big package just to have something to
> start with.

OK, though if you're interested in the long run, it'd be *really* nice
to have a proper rpm spec file in CVS, one that breaks out the
libraries into separate packages appopriately.  Hopefully with a
ready-made spec file, we might get RH interested in switching
something more reasonable.

> I have a question about libltdl. Is it the same as the libltdl that
> comes with libtool? If libtool is installed should libltdl from
> guile replace the one from libtool?

Yes.  No.  Ideally guile should be built against your system's libltdl
and link against that.  If your system has a libltdl-dev package, make
sure to install that before building guile -- with one caveat -- there
are some buggy versions of libltdl.  We have a patch in our autogen.sh
file for one of the bugs...)

> Why is a libltdl made. Is it needed by guile? Can it be named
> guile-libltdl or something?

Guile depends on libltdl for loading shared libraries at runtime via
(dynamic-link "libfoo").  Ideally all apps on your system should use
the same libltdl shared library so they all have the same behaviors
(and can share lib and function ptrs internally without risk).

So the best arrangement would be for your system to have a good
version of libltdlX, and have your libguile12 rpm depend on that.

A "correct" packaging of guile 1.6.0 should probably look something
like this:

  guile-1.6 (package with /usr/bin/guile -- depends on libguile12)

  libguile12 (separate package for guile's main shared lib -- includes
              includes share/guile/1.6.0/, etc.)

  libguilesrfi-srfi-* (separate packages for each shared lib -- depend
                       on libguile12)

  etc.

I'm gearing up to re-work debian's packages for 1.6.0, so I'll have a
really clear idea after that.  debian's arrangement is mostly right
already, but there are some broken bits there too.

--
Rob Browning
Previously @cs.utexas.edu