Re: What can I do to help? (conclusions)

From: Rob Browning
Subject: Re: What can I do to help? (conclusions)
Date: Tue, 08 Oct 2002 15:05:09 -0500

Andreas Rottmann <address@hidden> writes:

> I don't think so, nevertheless the resulting binary will be linked
> against libstdc++. However, when I get guile working again (see my
> other mail, subject "CVS Build problems"), I will suplly a patch and
> can run some benchmarks (there are some, don't we?), if you'd like.

What would that do to our "minimal install size"?  We use guile in
situations where we need to keep things fairly small (aside from
guile), and if I'm not misreading, this would make guile depend (on a
debian system at least) on libstdc++5 which itself is 700K, and
sub-depends on: gcc-3.2-base, libc6 (>= 2.2.5-13), libgcc1 (>=
1:3.2-0pre4).

The benefit may outweigh the cost, but I'd like to make sure we have a
clear idea of the costs and benefits.

What would the alternative be for people using C++ if we *don't* link
with g++?  Is it still possible for them to write modules?  Would they
have to write an "interface stub file" or something using extern "C"
or similar?

--
Rob Browning
Previously @cs.utexas.edu