Re: Adding stuff to the core distro (was Re: Infix syntax)

From: Neil Jerram
Subject: Re: Adding stuff to the core distro (was Re: Infix syntax)
Date: 13 Oct 2002 15:28:15 +0100

    Daniel> Neil Jerram <address@hidden> writes:
    >> I was aware of this.  However, we already have modules with the
    >> identical issue in CVS, like (srfi srfi-10).  And we already have the
    >> issues of xxx-options (e.g. (read-options 'prefix)) and, e.g.,
    >> (current-input-port) being global -- which, at least to my mind, are
    >> in the same category.
    >>
    >> And, all these issues are somewhat hypothetical until someone reports
    >> them causing a significant practical problem -- I don't believe anyone
    >> has done so yet.

    Daniel>   New TODO entry: modularize reader, so there can be per
    Daniel> moudule reader configuration

Probably read-options should also be per-module.

    Daniel> and than extend use-modules/define-module syntax:

    Daniel> (define-module (foo)
    Daniel>   :use-module (ice-9 blah blah)
    Daniel>   :use-syntax (infix)
    Daniel>   ....)

We already have :use-syntax.  It installs a syntax transformer --
which is something that translates expressions inbetween reading and
evaluation -- for the specified module.

BTW, does (ice-9 infix) handle tricky whitespace like in `#[2+4* 8]'?
If not, you could use a simple macro rather than a read hash
extension: `(infix 2 + 4 * 8)' rather than `#[2 + 4 * 8]'.  As a
macro, `infix' would obey the usual module rules.