Re: What can I do to help?

From: Jeff Read
Subject: Re: What can I do to help?
Date: Sat, 19 Oct 2002 07:34:32 -0400

On Sun, Oct 13, 2002 at 11:50:26AM -0500, Rob Browning wrote:

> One thing I did forget to mention that's probably key here, is that
> while for some tasks a a trivial XML->sexp conversion might be great,
> it isn't all that desirable for others, esp where large files are
> concerned.  XML docs are usually organized as one giant tree, and so
> if you have a 30MB data file, you may not want to have to convert it
> *in-memory* to a giant ??MB sexp just so you can search it to find
> some bank deposit (or whatever) on 2002-10-23.
>
> With the libxml approach, you can (painfully) arrange for callbacks so
> that you can incrementally parse the document and only capture as much
> content as you need.

My xmlgrok module takes the xml->sexp approach, however, it parses strings and
not files. It should be possible to extend it to incrementally parse XML from a
stream, extract interesting-looking substrings, and then convert them into
sexps.

Thanks for bringing this up; it's an interesting point and gives me some ideas
for improvements.

As soon as I get some webspace for xmlgrok I will add it to the projects list.

--
Jeffrey T. Read
"I fight not for me but the blind babe Justice!" --Galford