Re: memoization and conditional defines

From: Lynn Winebarger
Subject: Re: memoization and conditional defines
Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2002 18:22:03 -0500

On Thursday 07 November 2002 14:08, Bruce Korb wrote:
> I don't care how memoization works.  I understand there are
> optimization issues.  Optimizing isn't important to me, or
> I would not use an interpretive language as my "extension
> language".
     It's really about correctness of macro expansion in a broader
sense than just the core macros ('lambda, 'define, etc).  The core
macros just transform the sexpression into a more explicit parse
tree.  If you didn't do that, you could never be sure whether your
function would actually be a function or not. The symbol 'lambda
can be redefined at will by code in R5RS.  There are no
reserved keywords.

> BTW, my guess is that memoizing Guile will make it go much slower.
      Guile has been memoizing since its creation (or rather, the creation
of SCM).
can always use
which will do what you want.  eval's always execute in a top-level environment,
no matter where the expression occurs in the code.  And that '(define <foo>
<bar>)
would get re-expanded every time it got executed.

Lynn