Re: memoization and conditional defines

From: Lynn Winebarger
Subject: Re: memoization and conditional defines
Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2002 20:24:31 -0500

On Thursday 07 November 2002 19:46, Bruce Korb wrote:

> stuff chokes, but I would expect a sensible error message that will
> lead me to wrapping that stuff in an eval once its encountered, yes?

     Depends on how it's implemented.  It doesn't have to be an error
per se, but the _binding_ (as opposed to the side-effecting) of the
variable would happen before the test was evaluated.  That's probably
_not_ the behaviour you'd expect from that construct.
     If it's made an error, I don't know what the actual error message
would be.  There are only a few types of places defines are really
legitimate:  at the top level, at the head of a body, inside a begin
clause in any other legitimate location (recursively) - but only
before non-defines in a body occurence (following macro expansion).

Lynn