[pthreads] critical sections

From: Mikael Djurfeldt
Subject: [pthreads] critical sections
Date: Mon, 09 Dec 2002 15:05:56 +0100

A few comments:

1. We should work on continuing to remove critical sections.  Several
   of the current ones aren't required.

2. For those required, we should convert them into non-recursive
   sections (SCM_NONREC_CRIT...) which is much cheaper and simpler to
   work with.

3. We should classify sections and use different mutecis so that
   totally unrelated code doesn't interfere causing serialization.

4. We should break up SCM_DEFER/ALLOW_INTS into classes.

5. Macro expansion is now completely serialized.  Is it important to
   do anything about that?  It's probably possible.