Re: scm_make_gsubr question

From: Mikael Djurfeldt
Subject: Re: scm_make_gsubr question
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 21:03:48 +0100

William Morgan <address@hidden> writes:

> Excerpts (reformatted) from Mikael Djurfeldt's mail of 20 Jan 2003 (EST):
>> I don't think it's a good idea to add this to gsubrs.
>
> My question is partially mitigated by your reply below, but I think it's
> worth considering who your target audience is:
>
> If it includes C programmers who want to link Guile in as a scripting
> language, possibly who are not very fluent in Scheme, and possibly (as
> was the case on guile-user recently) in addition to other scripting
> languages, then this should be as easy as possible for them to do.
>
> But if doing fairly reasonable (IMO) things like this requires
> understanding tricky concepts and significant Guile-specific changes to
> one's application, I think you risk alienating that class of users.
>
> At any rate, I will defer to your (collective) judgement.

I apologize for my short answers.  I'm not intending to be rude.

My previous post was targetted at Neil, another Guile developer.

I think in this case what is needed is not new Guile features but new
documentation.  Unfortunately, I don't have time to write that
documentation.

Applicable smobs are easy to use.  Until documentation is available
you might want to look for the function scm_set_smob_apply in the
Guile sources.

Good luck!

Mikael D.