Re: New module system option :duplicates

From: Mikael Djurfeldt
Subject: Re: New module system option :duplicates
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 00:38:21 +0100

Rob Browning <address@hidden> writes:

> Interesting.  Though I had thought that we were already heading in the
> direction of being less tolerant of duplicate bindings as a default.

Yeah.  Default now.

> Also, doesn't ttn already have an augmented module system syntax for
> renaming, etc.?  If so, and if people are using it much, then it might
> be worth considering that syntax as well, and I seem to recall that
> Marius may have been planning something on this front too...

Marius has implemented renaming.  I just augmented it so you can say:

  :use-module ((foo) :prefix foo:)

I'll document that in NEWS tomorrow.

>> This implies that x in (math 2D-vectors) can see the methods of x in
>> (my-module) and vice versa, while x in (math 2D-vectors) doesn't see
>> the methods of x in (math 3D-vectors), thus preserving modularity.
>
> Why would x in (math 2D-vectors) be able to see the methods of x in
> (my-module)?  Isn't that a violation of modularity?  The reverse I
> understand.

Think about dynamic method dispatch.  A `paint' method in a generic
graphics package need to see subclasses provided by modules importing
the generic package.