Re: threadsafe format.scm

From: Marius Vollmer
Subject: Re: threadsafe format.scm
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 15:33:48 +0200

Clinton Ebadi <address@hidden> writes:

> I moved all of the global definitions into a new format procedure that has a
> really long letrec. This should be entirely threadsafe.

Great, thanks!  I have installed this.  We don't need papers for it
since the change itself, although affecting everything, is quite
small.

> I'm not sure how Guile does evaluation of procedures once they have
> been evaluated once, so I'm not entirely sure if this has a huge
> amount of overhead or not.

There shouldn't be too much overhead.  It will be slower than with
globals (probably, I would have to benchmark it to be sure), but not
much.  However, the letrec _is_ pretty big and environment access in
Guile is O(n), so well...