Re: New syntax: (: MODULE-NAME VARIABLE-NAME)

From: Mikael Djurfeldt
Subject: Re: New syntax: (: MODULE-NAME VARIABLE-NAME)
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 17:09:58 -0500

Marius Vollmer <address@hidden> writes:

> what about making the changes below?  The only unclean thing is that
> we would need to change the interpretation of a single ':'.

But isn't that pretty darn unclean?  It changes the lexical structure
of the language.  Note that we currently have an option which controls
whether the reader conforms to R5RS ("Extended alphabetic characters
may be used within identifiers as if they were letters.") or whether
colon is marking a keyword, and that this option is defaulted to R5RS.

I vote for using some syntax which is compatible with R5RS and would
urge you strongly to at least keep the possibility to be compatible
(=> new option controlling the interpretation of colon).