Re: Names for the C frame stuff

From: Neil Jerram
Subject: Re: Names for the C frame stuff
Date: 10 Jan 2004 16:37:42 +0000

    Marius> Hi,
    Marius> so I'm pondering over how to name the functions that are associated
    Marius> with the new 'frame' concept.  I'm now mostly convinced to use these
    Marius> ones:

    Marius>     scm_frame_begin            - Begin a frame
    Marius>     scm_frame_end              - End it

    Marius>     scm_frame_unwind           - Register a unwind handler
    Marius>     scm_frame_rewind           -          a rewind handler

    Marius>     scm_frame_block_asyncs     - Block the asyncs
    Marius>     scm_frame_unblock_asyncs   - Unblock them

    Marius>     scm_frame_current_input_port
    Marius>     scm_frame_current_output_port
    Marius>     scm_frame_current_error_port
    Marius>                                - Set the indicated port temporarily

    Marius>     scm_frame_fluid            - Set a fluid temporarily

    Marius>     etc.

Sorry to take so long to get back ...  I like the design of this API,
and I also share your concern about flipping the API too much.  In
this case, it seems to me that we can usefully keep
scm_c_call_with_blocked_asyncs etc. both for back compatibility and as
examples of the use of the scm_frame_* API.  (Assuming that the
implementation of scm_c_call_with_blocked_asyncs can be exactly
rewritten to use scm_frame_*.)