Re: readlink, getcwd memory leaks

From: Stephen Compall
Subject: Re: readlink, getcwd memory leaks
Date: 29 Apr 2004 16:14:35 -0500

Marius Vollmer <address@hidden> writes:

> Yes, just aborting is maybe a bit inflexible.  (I think we have
> discussed this previously.)  We could allow the registration of
> handlers (written in C) for out-of-memory and the default handler
> could print a warning, wait a bit, and then retry, backing off
> exponentially.  Or something.

All sorts of room for creativity here, I guess, but if that's too much
I think an excellent case would be to exec a configurable program of
your choice, or abort if that fails.  In the common case, it is the
Guile-using program itself that has eaten too much memory, so exec
should clear that, and the exec'd program can do whatever complicated
error-handling you like (e.g. pop up a window explaining the problem.
You probably won't be able to load up a GUI library or widgets in the
same program if you ran out of memory :).

--
Stephen Compall or s11 or sirian

The system was down for backups from 5am to 10am last Saturday.

explosion TWA KGB UOP Rule Psix import Kh-11 bce NSA UNSCOM Lon
Horiuchi defense information warfare STARLAN Honduras fraud