Re: OpenBSD does not define INT8_MIN etc.

From: Andreas Vögele
Subject: Re: OpenBSD does not define INT8_MIN etc.
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2004 16:43:29 +0200

Marius Vollmer writes:

Yep, I had the same thoughts.  There's no problem with INT8_MIN etc,
but I was afraid that for the larger sizes, there would be no portable
way to write the constants.  For example, with GCC, UINT64_MAX is
"18446744073709551615ULL" where the "ULL" suffix is essential.  That's
why I wanted to use the platform definition of UINT64_MAX, and for
symmetry, I used the platform definitions for the rest as well.

I'd definitely use the platform definitions if available. ICU's umachine.h that I mentioned in my second message could be helpful. ICU is highly portable. AFAIK ICU is used on all platforms that IBM supports.

I thought about the patch that I attached to my previous message. It's probably better to move the ifdefs from the printf statements into the C code so that the ifdefs don't get into scmconfig.h. I'll post an updated patch later.