Re: SLIB use: Documentation and ice-9/slib.scm

From: Kevin Ryde
Subject: Re: SLIB use: Documentation and ice-9/slib.scm
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2005 11:36:50 +1000

Alan Grover <address@hidden> writes:

> The ice-9/slib.scm module should be removed. It appears to be broken.

Bit rot :(.

> The Guile documentation should refer to the SLIB README file (sections
> on loading the initialization file, and implementation specific
> instructions).

Yep.

> These instructions could be repeated in the Guile manual since they seem
> stable for a while:

No thanks, I think slib install instructions should be in slib.

> (define-module (ice-9 slib))
> (load-from-path "slib/guile.init")

That's subtly different, normal "guile -lguile.init" goes into the
guile-user module.  But something like

        (define-module (ice-9 slib))
        (define-module (guile-user))
        (load "slib/guile.init")

might be close, assuming the guile.init can be found.  I forget what
it was that didn't work when I tried this though (maybe only with the
cvs head, not sure).

> (load "/some/where/slib/guile.init")
> ; NB: in this case, 'require may not find SLIB modules, see the SLIB
> documentation

I think it's sort of supposed to work.