Re: 1.8 make check failing in popen.test

From: Rob Browning
Subject: Re: 1.8 make check failing in popen.test
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2006 18:59:22 -0700

> Beside the test counts (which I find useful), running all the
> scripts in a single process increases the chance of catching nasty
> bugs, as you noticed.  ;-) So I think it makes sense to keep it as
> is.

Hmm.  While I can see the point that running all of the test in a
single process does exercise Guile as a whole more heavily, I suppose
I was looking at this more from the perspective of testing accuracy.

Running all of the tests in a single process increases the chance that
some unrelated action by a previous test might inadvertently break (or
just improperly skew) the current test, i.e. it makes it harder to
isolate your variables.  Such a problem seems like the kind of thing
that might take a long time to track down, without providing any
useful diagnostics.

--
Rob Browning
rlb @defaultvalue.org and @debian.org; previously @cs.utexas.edu