Re: Stable releases

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Stable releases
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2006 10:01:39 +0100

Hi,

Neil Jerram <address@hidden> writes:

> To summarize, and to get back to my stable release question, what I'd
> like to know is - for all active developers - is there some plan for
> getting future stuff out (by a combination of (a) experimental HEAD
> releases and (b) how we decide when to start a new stable series) that
> would make everyone happy to accept a strict bug fixes only policy for
> existing stable series?

I share your concerns about having a really stable series, where new
releases can be made with minimal overhead.

That said, I'm afraid adopting a strict stable policy might have
undesirable side-effects.  In particular, it might be the case that
either users would end up always using the unstable series (because they
don't want to wait for one year to get some new tiny feature), or we
would end up creating new stable series so often that they'd be really
unstable (I think the former is more or less what happens with Debian).

Thanks,
Ludovic.