Re: freeing srcprops ?

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: freeing srcprops ?
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 13:52:37 +0100

Mikael Djurfeldt escreveu:
>> 3. Due to sharing of the filename cons, memory usage is slightly more
>> than 4 SCMs per srcprop, down from 6 SCMs (2 for the smob cell, 4 for the
>> struct)
>
> Hmm...  Your filename optimization doesn't really work, does it?  As
> soon as someone sets a breakpoint, he gets it all over the place, or
> did I miss something?

from what I could follow from the code, srcprops were mainly constructed in
the reader. However, I would gladly remove that bit too, and simply go for
cons-cell with struct pointer, but without the special memory pool.

Neil, is that acceptable?

> If we considered implementing source properties *now*, I would
> probably agree.  But the code is already there and I wonder if there
> really is any gain of replacing it.

It's a question of philosophy. IMO, at any time, the source code of a project
should reflect how you would implement it "now"