Re: expanding the guile-vm closure to include goops?

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: expanding the guile-vm closure to include goops?
Date: Tue, 06 May 2008 09:03:34 +0200

Hi,

Andy Wingo <address@hidden> writes:

> We could replace it with srfi-9 records. However I see that there is a
> failing compilation test for srfi-9 records in the test suite,
> apparently there intentionally, because there is some problem involving
> compilation phases, modules, and macro expansion: essentially, the
> things that Flatt's paper solves.

Exactly.  A related message was this:
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.lisp.guile.devel/6015 .  I had just read
Flatt's paper, which led me to think we really needed a variant of
`use-modules' to specify modules that are used only at compile-time, for
their macros.

> But: until then, bringing in SRFI-9 records would break the
> self-compilability of guile-vm.

... which isn't much of a problem I suppose.  :-)  Moving to SRFI-9 looks
like a good idea to me.

> So another option would be to expand guile-vm to use GOOPS for its
> compound record types. I think this is quite a good idea in the medium
> term.

I'm not sure.  I'd prefer to use plain Scheme with SRFI-9 records in the
compiler since using GOOPS may not buy us much.

Thanks,
Ludovic.