Re: guile-vm 0.7 released

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: guile-vm 0.7 released
Date: Wed, 21 May 2008 13:56:07 +0200

Hello!

Andy Wingo <address@hidden> writes:

> I've released version 0.7 of guile-vm.

Great news!

(BTW, Keisuke's last release was labeled 0.5, IIRC.  There are links in
`README'.)

> I also have to apologize again for not working in Ludovic's doc updates,
> or responding properly -- my mail is still borked. Perhaps it will
> unbork today.

Use Gmane!  :-)

>  * The code generated by Guile-VM is OK. The preambles are quite crap
>    though.

Besides, I think we need to consider providing proper alignment for
instructions, i.e., 32-bit alignment.  I recall a paper about a VM
implementation that indicated this would noticeably improve performance
on most architectures.

Besides, having variable-size instructions is also questionable, as
storage is no longer a scarce resource.

>  * Debugging currently sucks, there is no source-level information, and
>    I haven't yet been able to understand Kei's vision in that regard. I
>    think that Ludovic knows more about this.

Not sure I know that much, but we'll see.

Thanks,
Ludo'.