Re: GNU Guile 1.8.4 released

From: Kamaraju Kusumanchi
Subject: Re: GNU Guile 1.8.4 released
Date: Wed, 28 May 2008 12:18:41 -0400

On Saturday 24 May 2008 5:19 pm, Neil Jerram wrote:
> 2008/5/15 Kamaraju Kusumanchi <address@hidden>:
> > Not sure if you have  noticed already. The build has failed on ia64 with
> > a segmentation fault. Here is the relevant log for ia64
> >

> > http://buildd.debian.org/fetch.cgi?pkg=guile-1.8&arch=ia64&ver=1.8.5%2B1-
> >1&stamp=1210454760&file=log&as=raw
>
> OK, now I'm confused.  I looked at the build log for ia64 from here -
> http://buildd.debian.org/pkg.cgi?pkg=guile-1.8 - just a few minutes ago,
> when responding to another FTBFS report, and I'm sure it said that it was
> failing with an Illegal instruction in test-unwind.  Is there any reason
> why these logs might be changing while I'm looking at them, or am I just
> going mad?

Sometimes the buildd daemons attempt a rebuild for the failed packages. In
this case this might be the reason you are seeing different errors at
different times. May be they fixed something in the toolchain of ia64
architecture.

Anyway, the correct (and easiest way IMHO) is to go to

http://buildd.debian.org/~jeroen/status/

then enter 'guile-1.8' in the box. This leads to

http://buildd.debian.org/~jeroen/status/package.php?p=guile-1.8&suite=unstable

This page gives a nice summary of which builds have succeded and which builds
have failed. From the above page I see that the guile 1.8.5 failed to build
on ia64, m68k, mips, mipsel, powerpc. There have been 1 attempt for each of
the architecture, except for ia64 where there have been 3 attempts to build
the guile 1.8.5 package.

We do not need to worry about hurd-i386 as it seems to be lagging behind all
the times. However getting guile build on all other architectures would be
nice.

> am I misunderstanding the status?

My only suggestion (from personal experience) for this kind of build problems
is to use
http://buildd.debian.org/~jeroen/status/ and not http://buildd.debian.org/ .
The presentation of results from Jeroen's page is much easier to understand
than from http://buildd.debian.org/ .

hth
raju
--
Kamaraju S Kusumanchi
http://malayamaarutham.blogspot.com/

Finally - A spam blocker that actually works.
http://www.bluebottle.com/tag/4