Re: Internal visibility

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Internal visibility
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 14:09:33 +0200

Hi,

Thien-Thi Nguyen <address@hidden> writes:

> Unfortunately, that position doesn't provide a clean path
> towards an encoding-knowledgable API.

Perhaps I shouldn't have qualified the API as "encoding-oblivious".

What I really meant is that the API should not expose the *internal*
string representation.  But of course, it should allow the user to
transfer a Scheme string to a C string with a given representation.

Currently, Guile only supports `scm_to_locale_string ()', which means
the returned C string is encoded in the current locale's encoding.
Eventually, new functions may be added: `scm_to_utf8_string ()', etc.
This was Marius' original plan [0], and I think it remains valid.

Thanks,
Ludovic.

[0] http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.lisp.guile.devel/3588