Re: call-with-values compilation!

From: Andy Wingo
Subject: Re: call-with-values compilation!
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2008 23:52:58 +0200

On Wed 17 Sep 2008 21:42, "Neil Jerram" <address@hidden> writes:

> 2008/9/16 Andy Wingo <address@hidden>:
>> This new instruction, mv-call, takes three byte arguments, and at least
>> two stack arguments. The byte arguments are the number of args, and two
>> bytes to specify an offset to the multiple values return address. The
>
> Why _two_bytes to specify an offset?  Is it just to support offsets >
> 255, or is there some other interpretation of the two bytes?

Yep, just for offsets >= 255 -- while unlikely in practice, it is likely
for the `br' family of instructions, and I reused that machinery.

In the future, as Ludovic mentions, we should probably look at
word-aligning all of our instructions; that is, once everything is
working and we can do some meaningful benchmarks. Then we could probably
have 3 bytes of "argument", potentially, for all fixed-length
instructions.

http://wingolog.org/