Re: Guile release planning

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: Guile release planning
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2008 02:41:15 -0200

Neil Jerram escreveu:
> So, what do you think?  There have been discussions of release
> strategy in the past, which I've seen as 50/50 between the split
> stable and development model (which we have now) and the steady new
> feature model (described above), but I don't recall them considering
> the overall community focus angle before.  In my view, when we add in
> that angle, the steady new feature model is better.

One angle that we could take is time based release planning, like GNOME and
Fedora do: plan to do one or two releases per year on a rigid schedule.  The
LilyPond 2.11 vs. 2.12 jump has been delaying for too long, but I generally do
a biweekly release, which is stable enough to reasonably be called 'stable', and
it has worked very well so far.

The precondition for this is that there is a good test-suite so we can be
sure that a release that passes the tests is good.