Re: Locks and threads

From: Ken Raeburn
Subject: Re: Locks and threads
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2009 20:25:44 -0500

On Feb 12, 2009, at 16:14, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
Ken Raeburn <address@hidden> writes:
[... Coverity ...]
I don't feel like supporting that tool.  I noticed that other free
software supporters are doubtful, too:
http://blog.josefsson.org/2007/04/02/boycott-scancoveritycom/ .

The license situation might be a problem for some, sure; that's up to the individuals to decide. It looks okay by me, but I don't have time to deal.

Quite a number of the projects at scan.coverity.com are GNU projects, including emacs and gcc; any idea if anyone from the GNU Project has talked to Coverity in an official capacity about getting the terms changed?

We could use tools like Splint, but it seems to be quite intrusive and
difficult to use when not used from the beginning of the project (to get
an idea it gives 97 warnings on `alist.c'...).

I used to use Splint, and it did find a few problems for me; between the intrusiveness and the relative lack of work on it these days, and the difficulty in expressing some constructs to it, I don't bother any more. I'm not convinced it was worth the time and annoyance to annotate the code.

Ken