Re: Syntax for symbols is more permissive than R6RS

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Syntax for symbols is more permissive than R6RS
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2009 17:27:51 +0200

Hi!

Mike Gran <address@hidden> writes:

> I was poking around the reader while working on the Unicode stuff, and I
> found that there aren't checks for a lot of symbol names that R6RS
> considers to be invalid.

It's actually more permissive than R5RS as well.  For instance, `1+' and
`1-' are not valid R5RS identifiers IIRC.

I would be inclined to not change the reader's default behavior, i.e.,
to remain at least as permissive as in 1.8, so as to not cause
gratuitous incompatibility (we could even add unit tests to make sure we
don't remove them inadvertently.)

However, it may be a good idea to have a reader option asking for
strict(er) conformance.

Thanks,
Ludo'.