Re: 1.9 on the 19th; freeze 10 june (this wednesday)

From: Neil Jerram
Subject: Re: 1.9 on the 19th; freeze 10 june (this wednesday)
Date: Sun, 14 Jun 2009 23:20:19 +0100

Neil Jerram <address@hidden> writes:

>>> I think what we need just is
>>>
>>> - import of the Gnulib `havelib' module (actually we already import
>>>   this indirectly, but now we need it directly)
>>>
>>> - AC_LIB_LINKFLAGS(gmp) in configure.in
>>>
>>> - update of the "Additional INSTALL instructions" section in README,
>>>   to mention the --with-xxx-prefix configure options, and to point to
>>>   the Gnulib doc on how these work (and how they sometimes don't).

I pushed a couple of commits:
http://git.savannah.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=guile.git;a=commit;h=39b94fee4304d56babf5bd62e10c5786a79f4389
http://git.savannah.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=guile.git;a=commit;h=a89cafc0562942680db63fe8ddf89f466ba2f7af

I don't feel totally sure about

-AC_CONFIG_AUX_DIR([.])
+AC_CONFIG_AUX_DIR([../build-aux])

because of crossing the implied boundary between the guile-readline
subdistro and the main guile distro; but it seems to work, and to be
consistent with how the Autoconf manual says AC_CONFIG_AUX_DIR should
be used.

And a few other queries:

- Should we have AC_LIB_LINKFLAGS(ltdl) too, to provide similar
  handling and searching for libltdl?

- Is the new README text correct that Guile depends on libiconv and
  libintl?  i.e. is it impossible for Guile to build without these?
  (If so, the "Required External Packages" section of README should be
  updated to mention these too.)

- Any comments on or improvements to the new README text?

Thanks,