Re: release update

From: Neil Jerram
Subject: Re: release update
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2009 23:46:50 +0100

Andy Wingo <address@hidden> writes:

> Hey Guilers,

Hi Andy!

> I didn't push anything specific regarding a freeze, but in practice
> since we're so few, we've been great at just putting in release-worthy
> fixes :)
>
> I would say that we are definitely on track for a 1.9 on the 19th.

Agreed.

> I have a list of things to add to the NEWS, which I'm appending to
> this mail just to give some scope -- the list only goes back to
> September of last year, when it really needs to go back to May or so
> when I started work on the VM, but it's close to complete WRT what I
> need to add.
>
> Please add on any missing points. Note that the 1.9 release notes will
> become the 2.0 release notes, I think; over the next few months we will
> be editing them, adding and removing things, so that readers for the 2.0
> release will understand what it is we've been up to over the last few
> years.
>
> One question is that I've been calling this thing 1.9.1 under the
> assumption that we made a 1.9.0; but that does not seem to be the case.
> Should this one be 1.9.0 or 1.9.1?

I think either is good.  (The only other factor that occurs to me is a
very silly one, namely that thus far we have got away with being able
to use string<? to compare Guile versions!  If we ever reached 1.9.10
(or 1.8.10, for that matter), that would no longer work.)

> OK, enough rambling. I have a plane flight tomorrow in which to write
> proper NEWS entries, after which hopefully all will be set for a release
> on Friday.

Some notes/queries on a few of your notes...

> no more currying

I thought that was unintentional, and have it on my todo list as a
bug.  Is it actually intentional?

> more robust threading support.

Does this mean SRFI-18?  "more robust" isn't quite right for that,
IMO; I'd say "more sophisticated API" or something.

> srfi-18

Oh, maybe not then :-)

I also made a checklist, here:
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.lisp.guile.devel/7971

My target, though, is to make sure this is all well covered in NEWS by
the time we get to the actual 2.0.  I'm not very concerned about NEWS
being incomplete during the 1.9.x prereleases.