Re: bytevector docs -> compound data types?

From: Andy Wingo
Subject: Re: bytevector docs -> compound data types?
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2009 22:40:18 +0200

Hi,

On Thu 25 Jun 2009 00:39, address@hidden (Ludovic Courtès) writes:

> Andy Wingo <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Currently the bytevector docs are in the "Simple data types" section.
>> Would they not be a better fit in "Compound data types", along with
>> uniform vectors &c?
>
> An argument in favor of the current layout is this:
>
> * Strings::                     Sequences of characters.
> * Bytevectors::                 Sequences of bytes.

This might also be an argument for moving strings to "compound data
types"... Perhaps we should move both, so that the "Generalized vector"
section has all kinds of vectors nearby?

Another option of course is to not classify data types by "simple" or
"compound", but some division is necessary.

Perhaps our master wordsmith Baron von Jerram has a perspective :)

http://wingolog.org/